Erectile dysfunction is the inability to obtain or maintain a solid erection for sexual activity. Occasional erection trouble is no cause for worry, however ongoing erection problems can signal an underlying health condition. At Florida Urology Associates, we can help determine the cause of your erectile dysfunction and develop an effective treatment plan.
Did You Know?
30 million men are affected by erectile dysfunction.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What causes erectile dysfunction?
There are many factors involved with male sexual arousal including the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels. When one or more of these structures is compromised in some way, it can affect the other structures or cause erectile problems.
Possible causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- Heart disease
- High Cholesterol or blood pressure
- Parkinson’s disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Tobacco use
- Peyronie’s disease
- Certain prescription medications
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries affecting the pelvic region or spinal cord
- Depression, anxiety, or other mental health conditions
- Relationship issues
How is erectile dysfunction diagnosed?
Erectile dysfunction can be diagnosed simply through a physical exam and a conversation about your symptoms and medical history. If an underlying health condition is suspected, additional diagnostic testing may be required. Such testing can include blood tests, urine tests, ultrasound, and physical or psychological exams.
How is erectile dysfunction treated?
The treatment of your erectile dysfunction will depend upon the cause and can vary. Some possible treatments for erectile dysfunction include:
- Oral medications such as Viagra (Sildenafil), Adcirca or Cialis (Tadalafil), Levitra or Staxyn (Vardenafil), or Stendra (Avanafil). These medications increase the effectiveness of nitric oxide, which is the chemical in your body responsible for relaxing penile muscles and increasing blood flow during sexual arousal.
- Intracavernosal Injection: a tiny needle is used to inject alprostadil into the base of the penis to stimulate an erection lasting for up to an hour. To avoid injections, a tiny alprostadil suppository can also be placed within the urethra with a special applicator. This starts an erection within ten minutes that lasts about 30-60 minutes.
- Penile Prosthesis: When a clear medical cause that cannot be improved with medical treatments is the reason for erectile dysfunction, a penile prosthesis may be recommended. There are two types of penile prosthesis. The first is composed of malleable rods that are surgically placed within the penile erection chambers. With this option, the penis is always partially rigid. The second option is an inflatable prosthesis that allows for a more natural erection.